As owner of the local grocery store in my hometown of Moraine, Wisconsin, my day starts at the crack of dawn. The Wild Clover is a short walk from my house, but before I head out, I check on the beehives in my backyard to make sure my busy bees are healthy, happy campers. If they are, they produce wildflower honey for my side business, Queen Bee Honey.
Regarding my store customers – they are a diverse bunch and most of them enrich my day. But there are a few who drive me crazy.
Anyway, I’ve made a list of New Year’s resolutions regarding friends, family, and customers (both the good and the bad). Since I love bullet points, here’s the 2012 plan:
- Get along with my mother – a biggie since she works at the store, and we don’t see eye-to-eye on anything.
- Stop psychoanalyzing my main man’s every move. Hunter Wallace is a hot cop with a Harley motorcycle and a K-9 partner. I’ve been having some relationship issues, as you will see when you read Plan Bee.
- Throw real estate agent, Lori Spandle (my nemesis since grade school) out of the store once and for all. That woman has done everything in her power to ruin my life.
- Spend more time at the local watering hole, Stu’s Bar and Grill. Not over-indulging in brewskies, just finding more time to relax with friends.
- Make extra visits to Moraine’s library and read a new book every week instead of once a month.
- Stay on Stanley Peck’s good side. He’s my apprentice regarding raising bees. He’s also one of my staunchest supporters and a rabid conceal-carrier (pretty sure without a permit).
- Avoid police chief Johnny Jay’s handcuffs at all cost.
- Continue to keep a close watch over recovering alcoholic and cousin, Carrie Ann.
- Support my rich younger sister Holly in her endeavor to understand humankind while she tools around in her Jag.
- Stay out of murder investigations. Pity Party Patti gets me into so much trouble.
- That’s about it.
Gotta go. The Wild Clover is ready for business, and here they come.
Hannah Reed (aka Deb Baker) writes the “Queen Bee” mystery series featuring Story Fischer, a beekeeper who finds herself in some very sticky situations in her small town community of Moraine, Wisconsin. Titles are: BUZZ OFF, MIND YOUR OWN BEESWAX, and PLAN BEE. Look for the release of book #5 December 2012. As Deb, she writes the award-winning Gertie Johnson mysteries. Visit her at www.queenbeemystery.com
** Thanks to Hannah, I have one (1) copy of PLAN BEE to give away. Contest open to residents of the US only. Contest ends January 16. Leave a valid-email address with your comment. Book will be shipped directly from the author. **
Books are available at retail and online booksellers.